Permadeath in video games.
That moment where it’s all over. Each action, reaction and error can have fatal results.
If you played games back in the days of 8BIT, 16BIT and even up to 64BIT (N64) that sweat inducing, high tension moment of knowing you’re about to lose it all at more one mistake is a reality gamers of the late 80s and 90s are well accustomed too.
Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us Part 2 has had a DLC released called Grounded and among the other bits and enhancements now included in this epic PlayStation exclusive game is permadeath.
This can be toggled to daily, each chapter or the entirety of the game – if you’re a hard core ‘Infested’ killer.
Along with this challenge the Grounded difficulty mode opens up any difficulty setting.
If you’re a Trophy guy or girl then you’ll be pleased to know that there is also two new awards you can get – surviving the entire game on one life and / or playing using Grounded mode.
Other tweaks have been added in to gameplay options:
- Mirror World
- Mirror on Death
- Slow Motion
- Bullet Speed Mode
- Infinite Ammo
- Infinite Crafting
- Infinite Melee Durability
- Infinite Listen Mode Durability
- Infinite Listen Mode Range
- One Shot
- Touch of Death
- 8-bit Audio
- 4-bit Audio
- Helium Audio
- Xenon Audio
Aswell as all of this you’ll find even more goodness to tweak and play with within the game’s settings:
- Film Grain Adjustment Option
- Disable Listen Mode Option
- Motion Sensor Function Aiming Option
- Arc Throw HUD Display Option
- Aiming Acceleration Scale Option
- Aiming Ramp Power Scale Option
- Accessibility Improvements to Ground Zero encounter and rope gameplay
- Additional accessibility improvements
Sadly there is no additional story add-on included. Well not yet – but I’m sure hopeful there will be in the near future to keep one of 2020’s games of the year going.